nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Growing Mulch

  • From: Matt Demmon <mdemmon@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Growing Mulch
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:54:16 -0400

Not sure where you are, but it seems like a good plan to me.
Especially if you cut them with the leaves still on, they'll provide
good mulch. Since you want as much smaller, finer material as
possible, you might also consider some shrubs as well. Many species of
shrubs will respond well and resprout vigorously after being
completely cut to the ground. Red-twig dogwood comes to mind. Shrubby
willows would be easier to manage than tree willows. And if you cut
them in the summer with leaves on, would provide food for pollinators
in the early spring. Box elder is another species that will resprout
easily.

-matt
z5 se MI