nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apios americana

  • From: "Kieran and/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apios americana
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 16:20:49 -0600

I have Apios to come out my ears.  Ordered them over 10 years ago, they came from the LA program. probably just one clone.  They do about as well as self-fertilizing Johnson grass.  They are good eating, and grow very well with Jerusalem artichokes.  I expect they fix N for the JA as they climb them.  Unlike JA, voles don't like apios.  They contain a latex that is probably not very nice for eating raw.  I'm afraid that our rodent population explosion since the fall '08 huge mast crop may have gotten most of our artichokes in the ground, but the Apios are fine.  I've been meaning to sell them on ebay, just haven't gotten around to it.   Donna