nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apios americana

  • From: "bluestem_farm@juno.com" <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apios americana
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 03:32:35 GMT

I don't know where you are, but the word in the books is that groundnut doesn't make seed in the northern states--reproduction is all vegetative by the tubers.  I guess the conclusion must be that the first peoples moved them up here, knowing a good thingwhen they tasted it.  It may be true.  We have quite a bit that's wild here, and I've never seen a seed pod form on it.  It blooms very late; I think it's usually in bloom when it gets hammered by the frost.  One could do selections, I s'pose, but it would be hard to breed it here.

Muffy Barrett
south-central Wisconsin, where the red-winged blackbirds arrived yesterday and the woodcock arrived today.   I guess spring is here.