nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apios americana

  • From: "Kieran and/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apios americana
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:55:57 -0600

I wouldn't dream of eating Apios raw, as nothing else does.  Cooked, they are very nice.  I think they are pretty boring by themselves, we usually put them in stews where they are are really terrific.  We don't peel them, usually just scrub or scrape them a bit.  I usually cut them up, which causes them to give the impression of a dense russet potato.  But if left whole they are drier and a bit sweet.  They don't seem to be much use for stir frying, so they aren't nearly as versatile as jerusalem artichokes, but they don't cause the gas problems that artichokes can.  Donna