nafex - [NAFEX] Growing Mulch

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Growing Mulch
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 08:33:58 -0500

My experience with growing mulch was to wait until a nearby swamp had frozen over. Then, with scythe in hand, I mowed the tall swamp grass. Swamp grass was an ideal mulch because (undispersed) seeds of swamp grass wouldn't grow on upland soil, rainwater passed through it and it lasted a bit longer than straw or hay. I spread it before the snows came. When it became to plant the garden, the mulch was pulled aside to form rows. Once the plants were up, the pulled-aside mulch was pressed against the plants to prevent weeds from emerging.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm Market
P.O. Box 799
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472