nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Growing Mulch

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam (MPCA)" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Growing Mulch
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:20:37 -0500

This does not answer your question because you seem intent on permaculture,
but it seems as though coppicing and pollarding are pretty labor intensive.

If you ordinarily mow the area around the trees you've planted, why not let
the grass grow to its full height, mow and rake it, and use that for mulch?
While you might be creating a habitat for voles, you would not creating bush
piles where rabbits may shelter.

Some materials are sometimes available from neighboring farms that is
suitable for mulch. For example, the spoilage on top of a trench silo. Or
hay or stover that's deteriorated from being left out in the elements. --
Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA Zone 4b)