nafex - [NAFEX] Growing mulch

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Growing mulch
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:47:01 -0500

Tanis Cuff asked, "Jim, do you mean the native sedges & cordgrass, or the planted/ invading reed canarygrass? I can confirm this technique works well with the latter, except RCG seeds DO grow well on upland, anything but dry sand in full sun. But, the seeds have fallen out of the seed-heads by the time marsh freezes."

The grasses that I cut from the swamp were probably all native as they grew in shallow standing water. All of the Reed Canary Grass I have seen tends to in places where standing water is intermittent. Anyway, I harvested it in November so all was sans seeds.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm Market
P.O. Box 799
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472