nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Carmine Jewel, cherry recipes

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Carmine Jewel, cherry recipes
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 21:49:09 -0800 (PST)

I can't sing the praises of all the U. of S. cherries enough (and the Evan's
Cherry). We love them. I tried pie filling made from U. of S. Cherries at
DnA Gardens Berry Festival a few years ago and as a result of that tasting
now have 35 trees! This year I canned Evan's cherry pie filling from a
friend's tree and it is superb!

As for taste: I love nanking cherries too especially eating out of hand, but
when I canned them as jam they tasted a lot like chokecherry to my family
which is not a problem for us as we like chokecherry too, but if that's not
what you want then they shouldn't be your first choice for planting. On the
other hand, I come from Southern B.C. where they grow real sour cherries like
Montmorency and I have to say again that the U. of S./Evan's cherries have
way more flavour and aren't nearly as sour to eat out of hand nor do they
require as much sugar to sweeten a pie.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB

I read a few reviews from Canada and
> the authors say that Nanking
> Cherry tastes better than Carmine Jewel. This is
> subjective from a
> few people.

FYI: Recipes

Evan’s Cherry Pie Filling:
(quantities listed make about 7 quarts)

6 quarts of pitted Evan’s cherries (can substitute any sour cherries),
6 cups sugar,
1 ¾ cups corn starch or substitutes (see note below),
½ cup lemon juice,
2 teaspoons almond extract,
½ cup water or juice,
½ teaspoon of butter.
Combine corn starch with ½ cup of water or juice. Place cherries into large
pot, stir in the sugar and the lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Slowly stir in
starch/water mixture and bring back to a boil. Stir in almond extract. Pour
filling into jars leaving 1” of head space. Clean jar rims, top with clean,
hot lids and adjust rings as usual. Process for 20 minutes in a boiling
water bath and remove to cool. It will set sort of solid if you use
cornstarch.

*Make sure the pie filling is boiling hot when you pour it into the jars or
it will rise up and ooze out of the jars when in the hot water bath and the
jars will not seal*!

Note: This pie filling can also be used as ready made cheesecake topping.
It makes a very uniformly red and spreadable cheesecake topping if you
substitute Ultra Sperse (a commercial corn starch available at the Bosch
Kitchen Centre in Edmonton) for the corn starch adding it in the same
fashion. Ultra Sperse is probably very similar to the Clear Gel that is
recommended for canning now.

Evan’s Cherry Jam:
(makes about 8 pints of jam)

10 cups uncooked, pitted, mashed cherries,
1/3 cup lemon juice,
6 ½ cups sugar,
2 ½ boxes of Certo Lite,
½ teaspoon almond extract.
Combine cherries and lemon juice in a large pot. Combine ½ cup of sugar
with the 2 ½ boxes of Certo Lite in a bowl and stir into the cherry mixture
in the pot. Bring to a full boil, add remaining 6 cups of sugar and return
to a boil. Boil hard stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and
stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Pour into hot pint jars leaving 1/2 inch of
empty space at the top. Wipe jar rim removing any stickiness. Cover with
warm lids and twist rings on finger tight. Water bath can for 10 minutes.
Label and store in a cool, dark place.

The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for Yahoo!
Get it Now for Free! at http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/