nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Question for Lon - or anyone

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Question for Lon - or anyone
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:27:12 -0500

How would you compare Venus to Jupiter to NY Muscat for flavor and other eating characteristics? And when do they ripen as compared to Canadice?

I'm thinking of putting in either a Jupiter, a NY Muscat, or a Venus. I know that I enjoyed NY Muscat warm off the vine, but noticed you said that muscat types lose a lot of flavor shortly after picking.

I'm in zone 6, and have a Canadice that does well vegetatively, but the flowers turn brown and shrivel most springs. You suggested it might be too much nitrogen, and I wonder if it's a lack of full sun. But even if it flowered, Canadice ripens at a bad time for me, because I'm often out-of-town that week. I'd have more of a shot of harvesting something that ripened about 2 weeks later.

Thanks,
Ginda