nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, Apricots

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@countryspeed.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hardy Prunus, Apricots
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 05:42:14 -0600

Hi Sarah,

I grow many of the same varieties here in a zone 3 climate in the northern US. The only cultivars that are typically touted for the far north that I'd avoid are (surprisingly) Moongold and Sungold from the Minnesota breeding program. Not very hardy and not particularly good quality. I am intrigued by those "famous Capilano apricots from Edmonton". I've not heard of them before and who in the North would not want to try a famous apricot--Can you tell us more about them?

Steve Herje
SW WI USA USDA Z3

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah Kehler Ewing" <skkewing@yahoo.com>