nafex - Re: [NAFEX] autumn olive Now "Invasive plants"

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] autumn olive Now "Invasive plants"
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 12:54:54 -0400

Autumn olive is a terrible pest here in central NC. The birds spread the
seeds.
If left unchecked, it creates dense thickets of thorny brush as a
monoculture understory. It seems to thrive in both shade and sun here.

My experienced neighbor warned me about it. He told me that he has had
tractor tires punctured by the thorns of mature plants.

I have been fighting it as a nuisance along with Microstegium vimineum,
privet, honeysuckle, multiflora rose and now Mahonia of all things.

I am very careful as to what I plant these days....

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC