nafex - Re: [NAFEX] gooseberries for Tennessee???

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] gooseberries for Tennessee???
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:33:59 -0500

Ed Mashburn – what ever happened to Ed? – who was for a time, if I recall correctly, the NAFEX Ribes consultant, and proprietor of Northumberland Berryworks as well as head of The International Ribes Association, recommended Pixwell and Glenndale as two gooseberry varieties that would handle my hot zone 6 climate – and even full sun here.  Granted, neither variety got rave reviews for fruit quality, but I can attest that Pixwell survived and fruited – rather heavily – in full sun here for years before my wife made me move it, because it was invading the blueberries(which she bulldozed out last year to put in a tennis court).

Pixwell may not be ‘much punkin’, as they say here, but even a low-quality gooseberry beats no gooseberries at all.

I think I’ve got a Glenndale plant somewhere under a big old post oak at the top of the pond, but I didn’t brave the ticks and chiggers to wade over there when it should have been fruiting this summer.

Lucky