nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sunchokes

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sunchokes
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 07:13:42 -0400

On Sep 17, 2009, at 12:13 AM, Kieran &/or Donna wrote:

I'd like the recipe too. I think that the only reason neglected sunchokes
would die out would be if voles got into them and ate them all up. that
could happen in a drought as werious as the Tennessee Valley in the late
80's, when ours nearly died out. I'd think that loose easy to dig soil
would make it easier for the voles to get them all. We have two varieties,
a long white one and a round red one. The red one runs half or less the
size of the white, and is really really hard to get rid of. Little roots
the size of my thumbnail are all it takes to start plants next year. Donna

What counts as "neglect"? My dad grew sunchokes. He cared about them the first couple of years, and then sort of lost interest. So he ignored the patch except that every fall he dug it up and harvested everything he could find. Every spring, it came back like gangbusters. He finally got rid of it by pulling every one that sprouted in the spring (after having removed every tuber he could find in the fall.) I think he did that for 2 years and them had a sunchoke- free patch again.

Ginda