nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grapple, kids and artificial flavour

  • From: skkewing@yahoo.com
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grapple, kids and artificial flavour
  • Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 14:01:04 -0700 (PDT)

I have some experience that might be insightful here.  I've mentioned before
that I have lots of kids before, but I also like to do various food related
things with my kid's classes at school,  I never fail to be astonished at the
number of kids who won't even try real food!  And the lunches I see: even our
principal comments that she would like to be able to merely identify a food
group in some of the kids lunches!  They grow up eating chemical laden food
and they don't want raw foods.  I can think of a whole lot of kids who would
eat those Grapples over the original thing!  I see this even in my family: my
husband loves junk/garbage anything that I won't touch, its like he doesn't
taste the chemicals like I can.

I have taken in taste tests of carrots I've grown (red, purple, orange,
yellow, and white fleshed, and purple skinned orange).  We have looked at
various kinds/colours of squash and some kids even tasted Cranberry Squash
muffins!  I've also done apple taste tests: Fuji, Royal Gala, Pink Lady,
Braeburn, MacIntosh, Spartan, etc. where also we located the country where
the apple originated, learned something about each variety and grew a tree
for each student from the seeds.  The latest food adventure I tried was
oranges:  this year is the first time I've ever been able to locate
Moro/Blood and the pink Cara Cara naval oranges.  We tasted mini mandarins,
Moro, Cara Cara, Naval, Tangerines and one more that I can't remember.  I
couldn't believe how many kids either refused to try them or spit them out.
Even the normal Naval oranges generated a lot of refusals/regurgitations!
What school age kid doesn't eat oranges?

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB

The team who produces Grapple probable received great bonuses.

Ate several slices of grapple in grocery store yesterday.  I
thought they were yucky.

I bought a small package of grapples a couple of years ago, under the
mistaken impression that they were just a different type of apple.
Ugh! Well, that will teach me to read the package more closely next time.