nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grapple, kids and artificial flavour

  • From: Betty Mayfield <bmayfield@opusnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grapple, kids and artificial flavour
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 17:56:42 -0700

To the list,

I always hated peeling oranges until I read a hint in an 1890s cookbook of how to present them as dessert to company after dinner.

Take a knife and score a circle around the top as if you were cutting the top off a pumpkin to make a jack o' lantern, but don't lift off skin. With the knife, cut through the skin down from the circle to the bottom of the orange a number of times, probably about 8. Then in eating it by hand, you don't have to use your thumbnail to cut the skin, which is really what smells up your hand the most. Just use your thumbnail to lift off the top circle and then strip down the sections of skin already cut. With the inside exposed, the wedges can be separated without breaking them, so the juice is not released until you bite them.

After I tested it and found how it minimized the odor factor, I decided it was good for everyday use, not just company.

Betty Mayfield

At 10:10 AM 4/11/2009, Bill wrote:

> Zinc deficiency reduces the sensitivity to sweetness and makes food not taste right. ... Then there is texture and the creepiness factor.

Then there's the reason *I* didn't like oranges as a kid: they made my
hands sticky.

Hmm,... that's probably the reason I still rarely buy oranges!
Delicious,... but I don't like peeling them.

:-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
We have always known that heedless self-interest was bad morals; we know
now that it is bad economics. - President Franklin D. Roosevelt

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----

Please do not send binary files.