nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grapple, kids and artificial flavour

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: <skkewing@yahoo.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grapple, kids and artificial flavour
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 20:56:44 -0500

Sarah asked,
What school age kid doesn't eat oranges?

Zinc deficiency reduces the sensitivity to sweetness and makes food not taste right. Processed foods tend to be low in zinc yet require zinc to be digested. Growing requires lots of zinc, kids need it more than adults. So zinc deficient kids probably can't detect the flavors that make an orange or an apple appealing to a normal human. High amounts of sugar, salt and MSG get through to the deficient taste buds.
Then there is texture and the creepiness factor. If you have never eaten anything with the texture of an orange, with it's membranes and individual sacks of juice, it would seem pretty weird. My experience has been with people I took out to our garden and handed tomatoes and lettuce leaves to. They stood there helplessly, unable to put them into their mouths without the ritual running of water over them. I said don't worry, there's no spray on them, but I mean, these veggies, they were OUTDOORS, y'know, with bugs and dirt and all that. I think that the average city person would find it very creepy to think of putting something directly from the outdoors into their mouths. I realise you had grocery foods indoors, but back to the fact that these are obviously living plant-like objects with form and texture, not extruded mixes of flour, sugar and oil (like dogfood kibbles). Donna