nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grapple, kids and artificial flavour

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: skkewing@yahoo.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grapple, kids and artificial flavour
  • Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 17:33:10 -0400

Sarah,

If you want more experiences of kids not knowing what real food is you might want to watch "Jamie's School Dinners". I think they used to play it on the Food Network. Anyway, famous chef, British kids, same idea. Most didn't know what an onion looked like. I think what you're doing at your kids' school is great.

Personally can't stand chemical grape flavour but it's true that a high percentage of the population can't get enough of those chemical flavours. Sad, so sad. The other thing I find sad is the fact that people will only eat fruit that looks "perfect". In my mind it reminds me of my sons plastic fruit and vegetables. I have an uncle that lives in South America and I'll never forget him explaining to me that the sweetest oranges there are covered in brown lines (sorry for lack of technical terminology) and the fact that he judges a papaya ready to eat when it's starting to rot on the outside. Can't see those fruits being picked up at my local supermarket (although I have found rotten fruit there!).

By the way, the last paragraph is just a personal anecdote, any orange growers, please don't shoot me down, taste is always a personal thing.

Caren
Quebec.
----- Original Message ----- From: <skkewing@yahoo.com>