nafex - Re: [NAFEX] heat tape

  • From: "Naomi Counides" <naomi@oznayim.us>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] heat tape
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 07:12:59 -0600

Local wisdom here, used to heavy commercial orchards, if the sky is overcast, you can sleep.  If it clears you need to get up and light your smudge pots and fire up the wind machines.   By dumb luck I positioned my trees along a rise by the driveway so there is excellent temperature drainage.  I have used Christmas lights and sheets.  But have been lazy of late.  Mostly it is okay and since I do not live off my trees and am not monoculture it is not a major problem if there is a light fruit year.

Actually I may have a light fruit year from my Keepsake apple.  It bore heavily last year and we kind of picked in a rush before a storm.  I asked my husband to help.  He ripped the heck out of that tree.

Naomi