nafex - Re: [NAFEX] heat tape

  • From: "Hector Black" <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] heat tape
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:48:00 -0500

I had always thought that water by giving off heat when it freezes, would protect. The problem we experienced in the freeze of 2007 April was that we turned on the irrigation to protect our blueberries but the temp. went so low (into the teens) that the ice was hanging from the bushes and the sprinklers stopped because of ice accumulation. What surprised me was that the branches froze back - it wasn't just bud damage, but sometimes 6-10 in. of branch was killed. This made me wonder if water is only good up to a certain temp. and then it may do more harm than good. It seems to have in our blueberries. The bushes with the least water (ice) were the least damaged.

Hector Black zone 6 middle TN
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>