nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT Light bulb as Xmas gift

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>, <GoatCheesePlus@yahoogroups.com>, <Dist7News@yahoogroups.com>, <NubianTalk@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT Light bulb as Xmas gift
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 17:32:11 -0500

Thanks for the light-bulb source. I'd just like to warn the list that I've
also been testing some LED bulbs, and I don't think they are quite ready to
be my primary lighting source. The nightlights rock. I'll never buy
another incandescent night light. The "60 watt equivalent" bulbs lighting
my front porch are pretty good. They aren't as bright as they claim (not
as bright as 60w incandescents) but they're bright enough for this purpose,
they draw less than 10 watts, and I expect them to last for years in a spot
where it's hard to change the bulbs. The "100 watt equivalent" is not
ready for prime time. It doesn't always turn on when I flip the switch,
and when it's on it makes an annoying hum. I don't think it's as bright as
it claims, either, but its other problems were so great that I've removed
it and will probably try to get a refund.

I do think that LED lighting is a great opportunity, and someone has to be
an early adopter to fund further research to make them better. But I
recommend testing a particular bulb in a situation similar to the one for
which it will be used before giving one as a gift.
___
Ginda