nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT Light bulb as Xmas gift

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT Light bulb as Xmas gift
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 09:20:19 -0500

On Dec 6, 2008, at 9:09 AM, S & E Hills wrote:

I find that in cooler situations (front porch, basement) that the CFL bulbs are dim, though they eventually brighten up (though not in the time I am wanting to get what I am trying to get done….it would be silly for me to go over and turn on the basement light 5 minutes before I go down to find a tool from my workstation).

I used to buy CFL for my front stoop, but they "burned out" really fast.  I went to a good hardware store and the clerk told me the problem was that they don't work when it's cold.  There are special CFL that you can use in the cold, but they have a larger base and don't fit in the fixture out front.  (And I tried some of the lights that had "died" inside, and they worked fine.  He was right, they just wouldn't light outside due to the temp.)  But depending on your fixture, the cold-weather ones might work in your basement.

I bought a few LED bulbs recently.  The one that claimed to be 100w equivalent also came with warnings not to use it outdoors.  The ones that claimed to be 60W (and are probably more like 40-50w) equivalents didn't have any similar warning, and are now in the fixture outdoors.  It's below freezing, and they seem to work.  And they use many fewer watts than incandescents and I expect them to last a lot longer.  I look forward to brighter ones, but these will do for now.

Ginda