nafex - Re: [NAFEX] OT Light bulb as Xmas gift

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] OT Light bulb as Xmas gift
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 13:01:52 -0500

On Dec 5, 2008, at 10:38 AM, Amlie & Hayas wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>Have you tried these?  Trying to read with "regular" LED lights as illumination gives me a splitting headache in short order.  Are these different?</x-tad-smaller>

Standard fluorescents make me feel like it's three in the morning and I ought to be in bed. Too much time under them puts me in a terrible mood and can bring on headaches.

"Daylight" fluorescents are a lot better -- at least some of them are, I haven't tried them all; but did find some I can use at home. I haven't tried LED's except in a flashlight, which is a different situation and doesn't let me judge whether I could stand them for general lighting.

People's reactions to types of light vary drastically. Giving these as gifts is a good idea; but unless you already know the tolerance of the particular people I'd give one or two bulbs per household, with a note suggesting they try them and let you know whether they'd like to have more. Or, if there are various types, you could make up a gift box with one or two bulbs each of each type.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly