nafex - [NAFEX] question posed to me about Apricots/Peaches

  • From: rob hamilton <lostman_amiga@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] question posed to me about Apricots/Peaches
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 07:36:50 -0800 (PST)

Hey gang,

I was asked a curious question on a list about fruit compounds. I brought it to this list to see I gave the proper responses. I thought some of the wiser chemist could give me a few pointers.

Robert

-------------------

.... I'm more interested in
an apricot because the seeds contain high levels of B17 (a hidden
vitamin). The vitamin is an excellent cancer fighter and may work with
cyanide as a natural form of chemo. It is present in all fruit seeds,
so I even eat my apple seeds now.

Audra

I would say peaches are easier for 2 reasons.

First of all Apricots (I'm told) tend to bloom very early and the flowers are susceptible to freezing. I dont know if that is due to the fluctuation spring temperatures we have in spring down here - causing the buds to break early, or whether genetically apricots just bloom earlier than others in that genus.  I know even the peach trees blossoms that grow here can get burned from our late frosts.

When looking at Apricots make sure you do your research. I am sure that there are varieties that would work here, but it may not be one that readily available in the nursery trade.

Now with all that being said,  Peaches and Apricots are not the easiest fruit grow here.
You 'may' need to regularly spray to get the fruit you want.

Concerning your natural chemo research. You may want to look at other fruits in the Prunus genus as well. You may find others that have higher in the compounds that you looking for AND easier to grow here. If I recall, the cyanide  composite is what give almonds their characteristic smell and flavor.  There are bitter almonds out there that have a higher level of that. Also look at some of the Prunus that are not generally used for fruit production, they may have the levels you are looking for.

Be careful as well. These are considered poisons. the trees way of protecting itself from it's seeds being eaten.  I dont know these are compound you really want to play around with. I can only assume you have done your research in this area as well.

I would like to post your question on one of my fruit lists to see what some of the wiser people who know more about fruit compounds have to say. This sounds like a very interesting topic.

Robert