nafex - [NAFEX] Victorio Food Strainer

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Victorio Food Strainer
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 13:49:01 -0800 (PST)

I have read that Victorio Strainers aren't actually made any more. I bought
a "VillaWare" strainer (body is aluminum, screens are stainless steel and the
rest is made from nylon- standard construction materials for food mills) two
years ago. It works well, but I do run everything through it twice to get
the pulp as dry as I think it should be. I need to buy the motorizing kit
too as cranking through 5 gallon batches of tomato soup gets a little
tiresome!

Mine came from www.berryhillltd.com although our local kitchen store also
carries them (Bosch Kitchen Centre, Edmonton, AB).

I have used only used a stainless steel Foley food mill (they are not all
stainless steel: I also have an old one that is tinned) for making Nanking
Cherry jam. It works very well to remove the pits from the flesh, but it
could be faster. Nanking Cherries are about the size of your thumb nail, but
the pits are similar in size to chokecherries. I like Nanking Cherries and
think that they taste like a semi-sweet cherry with a hint of chokecherry in
there.

Sarah
Zone 3b
Edm. AB