nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Freezing peaches

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Freezing peaches
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:45:00 -0800 (PST)

I'm gradually reading and responding to old emails now
that there's snow on the ground.

Regarding browning in thawed frozen fruit: This is
probably caused by enzymes that are free to run around
causing havoc once the cell membranes that used to
restrain them have been broken by ice crystals. There
are two ways to avoid this: destroy the enzymes with
heat by cooking the fruit first, or freeze it very
cold and then eat it immediately after thawing so the
enzymes don't have time to work. Enzymes work only at
a certain pH, so adding acid could also work, but that
changes the taste.

I freeze raw, chopped fruit with no sugar in single
servings. To eat, I take it out of the freezer until
it's soft enough to be edible. (Like, thaw as I start
eating dinner, and it's ready to be dessert.) The
occasional ice crystal is just pleasant crunch. Or,
cook it straight out of the freezer, thawing in the
microwave first if necessary depending on your recipe.
Or throw it into a blender while still frozen solid to
make smoothies, and drink immediately.

Melissa

--- "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>