nafex - [NAFEX] Freezing peaches

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Freezing peaches
  • Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 21:12:34 -0600

I froze a small amount of peaches (chopped up and mixed with sugar) this year, just to test it. It was only about a pint or so. I've been freezing other fruit (strawberries, raspberries, etc.) to put on my oatmeal in the morning, but that stuff is dry enough that I can keep it frozen until use, and then just break off what I need.

With the peaches, though, I put the bag in the refrigerator to thaw first (since I couldn't separate them otherwise). OK, that worked,... except that the whole thing turned the most putrid brown color! I mean, it really looked disgusting.

So how do I avoid that? I've seen a product that's supposed to keep apples from browning (I can't remember the name of it right now). Will that work with peaches, too? Or can I just add some lemon juice? It's not a big deal, since it's only me eating the stuff,... but even I'd feel better if it looked a little more appetizing. :-)

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (Zone 5)

--
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. - Mark Twain