nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Premature yellowing and leaf-drop

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Premature yellowing and leaf-drop
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:31:27 -0500

The same thing happened to half of my 'Sure-Fire' cherry and it had
plenty of water. What happened to it is a mystery to me especially since I
see the same phenomena happening to road-side bushes.

For what it's worth (not much), that's how my Northstar cherry died too. I
doubt that your 5 inches of rain caused the trouble unless the site is really
poorly drained.

I had two Northstar cherries die in the Spring. I don't believe they are
very hardy.

Thanks for the comments. I don't feel so bad now (since it doesn't seem to be anything I did).

I'd just guessed that the rain might have done it, since I keep hearing about poor drainage being such a problem with fruit trees. And I have no idea what it's like below the surface. But it appears to be just flat ground, and we really didn't get THAT much rain. There wasn't any standing water there, or anything like that. And nothing else was affected. I guess it's just one of those things.

Thanks again!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires. - Susan B. Anthony