nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Birds in Amelanchier & Cherry

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Birds in Amelanchier & Cherry
  • Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 00:56:50 -0400

Although,... I think my Northstar cherry tree has died. It's three years old and I've never had any previous trouble with it. Due to the freeze last year, this is the first year I've had cherries, though not too many. It had lots of blossoms, but I had a real shortage of bees earlier this spring.

But after we had an extra 5 inches of rain in June (that's a lot for Nebraska, though we didn't have flooding or anything), the leaves on the Northstar steadily turned yellow and dropped off. There's not a leaf on it now. It's in a flat area, not a depression or anything, and none of my other fruit trees had any problem (most have needed extra water since then, but there's been no irrigation anywhere near the cherry).

But there are no signs of borers or any other problem, so I imagine it must have been the rainy June. I'm pretty new at all this, though.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

For what it's worth (not much), that's how my Northstar cherry died too. I doubt that your 5 inches of rain caused the trouble unless the site is really poorly drained. My tree got up to about 4 inches in diameter near the ground. It looked perfectly normal and then the leaves turned a nice yellow and fell off. It looked just about like the normal fall drop of leaves except that it happened in August. I left the tree there but it was 100% dead the next season. I don't recall any unusual amount of rain at any time that summer.

Steve in the Adirondacks