nafex - Re: [NAFEX] birds & cherries, & buckthorns

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] birds & cherries, & buckthorns
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:49:20 -0400

Sea-buckthorn is in a different genus; it is Hippophae rhamnoides and has nothing in common with the others but the common name as far as I know.

Purging buckthorn (from Europe) is Rhamnus cathartica. I've seen it on sandy loam and on clay; it's versatile and hard to stop. The nasty thorns mean that you have to be careful how you grab it.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

John S wrote:

http://www.itmonline.org/arts/seabuckthorn.htm

has a good summary of this plant. I grow cultivated varieties that produce better fruit than shown in the pictures. NAFEX has an interest group that includes this plant, headed by Mr. Black, I believe.