nafex - Re: [NAFEX] birds & cherries

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] birds & cherries
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 13:34:22 -0700 (PDT)

Kathryn, Tartarian Honeysuckle is horribly invasive around here.  It is all over the place and difficult to control.  Around here, the birds do not bother them much and the berries linger until fall.

It is easily recognized by it's tendency to produce twinned berries.

On the other hand, I have not noticed any buckhorn in the wild.  The kind I grow is for fruit and has not been bothered by the birds.

This is an unusual year as far as birds eating fruit.  I have a number of tart cherry trees that are usually quickly stripped by the robins, but this year the fruit is still on the trees after about of month.  I've been picking 3 weeks running now.