nafex - Re: [NAFEX] birds & cherries, & juneberries

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] birds & cherries, & juneberries
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:18:33 +0000

Lonicera t. has spread (via seeds) everywhere and there seems to be no
stopping it without continual work, so I don't know how much I want to worry
about this. But it is an invasive exotic species which wrecks the native
plant communities in which it thrives.

As I watched catbirds wrestle 1/2 ripe, bright red berries off my
Amelanchiers' first really good crop, and then the robins came and fought
over the remaining berries which began to turn purlpe, I looked around for
other ripening fruit-- for birds OR people!

Ripe about the same time were red currants, mulberries (yes, M.alba is exotic
& somewhat invasive, but not as bad as honeysuckle), red elderberry--
Sambucus pubescens, black raspberries, and I'll probably think of a couple
more after hitting send.

tc, sWI, ecologically Kathryn's neighbor