nafex - [NAFEX] Shade cloth on blueberries for bird protection

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Shade cloth on blueberries for bird protection
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:24:19 -0400

I am researching textiles for bird protection on my rabbiteye and
southern highbush berries. I do not like to use the stretchy black bird
netting as I have removed many snakes (dead and barely alive) and
fledgling birds from such netting. I think that it can be a menace to
wildlife.

So, I found some fine knit material that will keep birds away and is UV
resistant, but will reduce sunlight penetration by 30%. The bushes are
in full sun, now unshaded.

Question: If I use the material from mid June to the end of August will
my berries ripen properly? Will my fruits set for next year be
affected?

Anyone have experience with this?

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC