nafex - Re: [NAFEX] ant colonization of containers

  • From: hans brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] ant colonization of containers
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 19:22:58 +0200

Hallo David,

diatomaceous earth is Silicon dioxide...produced from diatomeen algae.
Most other organisms are producing Calcium carbonate - indeed.

ciao
hans

David.Maxwell@dal.ca schrieb:
PS, everybody know DE is dangerous to breath?

I am a physician. I am not sure this statement is valid. It is certainly harmless to observe it, but do you know where the idea came from? I believe that diatomaceous earth is basically the exoskeletons of marine plankton, and is made of calcium carbonate, the same material that limestone or chalk is made of. Might there be a confusion here with silicaceous materials, such as the fine white sand used for sandblasting (can't think of the name of it at present)? Silicon dioxide forms an assymetric crystal which (at least according to one theory) interacts with the earth's magnetic field, generating tiny electrical currents which are responsible for its provoking fibrosis of the lung tissue - the well known "silicosis", seen in hard rock miners.
Calcium carbonate neither forms asymmeric crystals like silica, nor is it nearly as insoluble as silica. (I suspect any inhaled limestone particles which lodged in the lungs would fairly rapidly be dissolved by the body)

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----
to change other email options):