nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Shade cloth on blueberries for bird protection

  • From: "Lee Sharp" <leesharp@cableone.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Shade cloth on blueberries for bird protection
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:40:54 -0500

In the mid 1970's when my rabbiteye blueberries started producing I covered them with large squares of fish/shrimp trawl netting cut to accommodate the bush size during the fruiting season. I never observed any production problems or had any kind of animals to get tangled in them. I placed four supporting post around the plants, 1 inch PVC would work, to keep some of the net weight off plants. Commercial fish/shrimp nets get replaced periodically and most of the operators would probably like to have someone take them away. After covering my plants in this manner for a few years I discontinued using nets because my bushes make more fruit than both the birds and my family can use. Plenty of blueberries are being picked this week in Mississippi and the annual Blueberry festival is this weekend in Poplarville,Ms all day Friday and Saturday.
Lee Sharp
8b, Ms
----- Original Message ----- From: <Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov>