nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Shade cloth on blueberries for bird protection

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Shade cloth on blueberries for bird protection
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:38:14 -0400

I am only familiar with lowbush and northern highbush blueberries. Both
often grow wild in light shade. They fruit a lot less when they grow in
the shde than when they grow in the sun, but they do ripen fruit. I think
you are more likely to reduce next year's crop than to damage this year's.

I found that when I replaced the bottom foot of my black plastic mesh with
permanently installed metal hardware cloth I completely eliminated the
problem of dead birds and animals trapped in my netting. I expected to
stop finding dead chipmunks and snakes. It was a pleasant surprise that I
stopped finding dead birds, as well. YMMV
___
Ginda