nafex - [NAFEX] blueberry blossums

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] blueberry blossums
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:28:10 -0400

It is standard advice to remove all blossums from blueberries until they are fully established.  This is true of any plant that is slow to establish in my experience as seed and fruit production takes energy at the expense of root growth.  Whitcomb's extremely accessible "Establishment and Maintenance of Landscape Plants" (in NAFEX Library) does an excellent job of explaining this.

When I sell my bearing age fruit trees I always instruct customers to remove flowers or young fruit the first season.  When establishment is weak they usually confess that they couldn't bring themselves to do it.

  • [NAFEX] blueberry blossums, Alan Haigh, 05/18/2008