nafex - Re: [NAFEX] A plague of locusts!

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] A plague of locusts!
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 13:09:49 -0500

I can show you significant 'scars' on fruit trees that were 2-3 yr old, back in '96 or '98, the last time we had a major emergence.

At 12:45 PM 5/15/2008, you wrote:
In late summer, well after it's all over, pay special attention to
the trees along the sides of the road. If you drive down an
interstate through a wooded area, you''ll be amazed at the damage to
the trees (especially oaks if my memory serves). When the eggs are
laid in smaller branches, the branch often dies back to the point
where the eggs were laid. In heavily damaged areas the trees are
carpeted with brown patches from dead branches. Not a huge issue for
a mature oak; a potentially serious threat to a young fruit tree.

I've got a lot of trees with scars from the previous mini-cycles, as
well as the last big one from 17 years ago. I'm not looking forward
to the effects on all the apples and pears I planted in the last 2
years (although I do enjoy the sound they make).

Tom A.