nafex - Re: [NAFEX] covering cherries, fruit bags questions

  • From: "Mark Dorogi" <mddorogi@comcast.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] covering cherries, fruit bags questions
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 16:29:22 -0400

Maybe I should try those Maggot Barriers this year.  They cost 6 times as much as ziplock bags, but still they are only about $.07 per footie.  The advantage of the footies would be that they “breathe” but I wonder if fungal infections like scab can find their way through the nylon and still get to the apples.  Scab is heavy around here, although I try to keep the trees sprayed well until bagging time.

I had the same issue with bird netting a few years back.  Some branches got bent, particularly on the Montmorency sour cherry, which seems to have weak branches.  You are right, a PVC support structure should be relatively cheap and effective.

If you securely tie the netting right to the trunk, will that keep raccoons out?  Or do they just rip it apart and proceed with their feasting?  Apart from eating the fruit, they wreck the trees by climbing out to the end of branches and breaking them.  They just about destroyed that sour cherry one year.  I didn’t realize why the tree was falling apart I caught a raccoon in the act.

Mark