nafex - Re: [NAFEX] A plague of locusts!

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] A plague of locusts!
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 7:45:17 -0400

Cicadas aren't locusts.

I don't think the adult eats at all. It certainly doesn't eat much.
Mostly they just make a lot of noise, mate, lay their eggs, and die.

Because the larvae take so long to grow (17 years for each 1-inch bug) they
don't do a ton of damage, either, although they do suck sap from the roots
of your trees.

Unless you are worried about damage from the physical weight of the bugs,
or from the feasting birds and other critters, I don't think you have a lot
to worry about.

I lived in Princeton, NJ, the last time their 17 year cicadas emerged, and
I quite enjoyed the show. You could tell where there'd been construction
in the prior 17 years, since those areas didn't have many bugs. The areas
with ancient trees were pretty wild.

Best of luck,
___
Ginda