nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Captan/Sulfur

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Captan/Sulfur
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 23:08:20 -0500

For Captan 80WDG the max per season is 40 lbs. per acre per season no matter what rate you use.

What would you recommend for Apple Scab, in addition to Captan? I wouldn't want to use the same fungicide all season, but I'm having trouble finding anything else. I did find some Mancozeb, but it's not rated for apples. This is just for me, not a commercial orchard, but I'd imagine there's some reason apples aren't on the label, right? I've seen Ferbam recommended, too, but I've never seen that anywhere.

I did use a lime sulfur dormant spray, but I don't want to use Captan alone for the rest of the summer (and my Honeycrisp apple was hit really hard by scab last year). Any suggestions?

This isn't my only spray problem. Here in Nebraska, it's hard to find a day calm enough to spray. And my fruit trees and plants are crowded pretty close together. It's hard to spray one without hitting something else. That's particularly a problem when the 'something else' is blooming (at least, for some sprays). I didn't think of that when I planted them...

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The sharpest criticism often goes hand in hand with the deepest idealism and love of country. - Robert F. Kennedy