nafex - [NAFEX] Captan/Sulfur

  • From: "Mark Dorogi" <mddorogi@comcast.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Captan/Sulfur
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 21:27:45 -0400

I sprayed captan on my apples last night; they are in full bloom.  But, I was low on captan, so I mixed it at about 50% the label rate.  Then, I used sulfur when I ran out. This caused a few questions to pop into my mind.

What would happen if I used the standard “home orchard spray” at 50% of the recommended strength?   In other words, if I assume I’d get near 100% control using it per the label instructions, would I expect to get 0% control at 50% strength?   Would there be any difference for fungicides vs insecticides?   I’m wondering if anyone has ever evaluated this.  I’m a trusting person, but on the other hand, I have no reason to trust that the label application rates are at the minimum acceptable level.

Also, is there any harm in mixing captan and sulfur?  I rinsed my sprayer when I switched from captan to sulfur, but the trees are close together and there were some branches that got some of both.

Mark