nafex - [NAFEX] covering cherries, fruit bags questions

  • From: "Goat Gal" <goatgal@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] covering cherries, fruit bags questions
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 11:54:31 -0400

For the first time my two dwarf sweet cherries managed to bloom after frost and have set tons of berries.  I was thinking of covering the trees with floating row cover (making big sacks) to keep out birds and bugs.  Has anyone ever done this?  When would be the time to cover the fruit ...to protect from pests like cherry fruit fly?

Also, my Queen Cox also bloomed profusely for the first time this year.  I'd like to bag the apples...when does one apply the bags?

Also anyone try bags on peaches, plums or pluots?

deb