nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Captan/Sulfur

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Captan/Sulfur
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 17:29:15 -0500

Captan should not be tank-mixed with sulfur, lime, or oil or any other alkaline materials and should not be applied within 7 to 10 days of a sulfur, lime, or oil application.  These materials will reduce the fungicidal activity of the Captan. This information is on the label and the label should always be read completely before using the product.

For your other question, if you are asking can you reduce the rate(s) of either the sulfur or a more specific mode-of-action fungicide such besides Captan in the tank-mix with the thinking that the sum of components will equal an effective single application of one or the other? I would not do this. I would use the full rate of the fungicide, and at least a moderate label rate of the particular sulfur product. Sulfur is cheap; there's not much economic sense in applying a sub-lethal dose.

You can trust the recommended label rates as they are given for a reason.  You usually have a range to work with such as Captan 80WDG which has a recommended rate of 2.5 lbs. to 5 lbs. per acre.  If you are going to tank mix it with another fungicide, you can use half the rate, i.e. 2.5 lbs. per acre instead of 5 lbs., but not less than the recommended range.  These ranges are given to help reduce resistance and to make sure no more than the recommended rate is used per season.  For Captan 80WDG the max per season is 40 lbs. per acre per season no matter what rate you use.

Hope this helps!

Dennis Norton