nafex - [NAFEX] relative vigor of grafting wood

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] relative vigor of grafting wood
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 06:03:05 -0400

Lee Reich's puzzling statement that recent research puts the theory that summer pruning is more dwarfing than dormant pruning on shaky ground inspired me to google Dr. Ferree to find corroboration.  Not finding anything supportive I have to assume that Lee was talking about the dwarfing affect on a single shoot, not the total tree, but I should probably wait to here from Lee.

What I did stumble on that might be of interest to NAFEX grafters is a statement Ferree made in one of his articles that an annual shoot has buds of varying quality and those buds on the base third or so are incompletely developed.  I've long been puzzled by the inconsistency of some of my grafting projects where 2/3rds of the sites I do grafting I get almost 90% success and another 3rd I'll get only 50%.  I wonder if it is related to using wood with poorly developed buds.  Anyone out there with more info on this?