nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Move trees or start all over again?

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Move trees or start all over again?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:04:30 -0400

For having seen friends do what you are contemplating doing and move trees, an ordeal that is not always met with good results, I tend to be inclined to think that you should plant new trees.
If I was to move established trees, I would do it in the Fall. Over the Winter, the ground settles around the roots and the tree fares better for the next little while. Don't forget that a weaken tree is more susceptible to diseases and insects.
I agree with Donna that an orchard would add value to the property you are planning to sell.
If you have varieties that you would like to keep, you can always make an agreement with the new owner to collect scion wood at the proper time, once you have new trees to graft unto.
Hélène
----- Original Message ----- From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>