nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Move trees or start all over again?

  • From: "S & E Hills" <ehills7408@wowway.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Move trees or start all over again?
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 13:58:13 -0400

Personally my decision to dig or leave would depend on a couple of factors.

1. Is the planting area ready already? I wouldn't dig up trees to move and
then plant them into pots for a year or more.

2. Are the trees in question special for some reason? Unique variety or
perhaps sentimental value (my son helped me plant this)

3. At least your choice of rootstock means you will likely have fewer
digging problems, but that same rootstock could also mean more difficulty in
keeping the plant sufficiently hydrated.

4. when are you planning on doing this? Nurseries tend to ship trees dormant
for a reason. If you try this after the trees have leafed out, you're
likely going to risk losing any advantage you might gain by planting trees a
couple years older than ones you could order next year.

I certainly would try and move at least one (assuming #1 isn't a problem) so
that when you look out you'll have a keepsake of the old house (I bled for a
rosebush my wife just couldn't part with when we moved, though when it
attracted every japanese beetle and defoliated from disease she was none too
broken up with letting me remove it).

I'm pretty much just playing Devil's Advocate here.

Scott H
Michigan 6b