nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Move trees or start all over again?

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Move trees or start all over again?
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 09:19:56 -0400

On Apr 4, 2008, at 7:42 AM, Randall Burd wrote:

I am moving from NJ to MD at the end of June. My backyard orchard includes
eight apple trees on M9 and B9. I got the trees from a catalog nursery in
both 2006 or 2007. None are so large that I cannot dig them up. My plan for
my new orchard will include around 15-20 trees eventually.

My question: dig 'em up and move then or leave them here in NJ to the fate
of an indifferent new homeowner?

Thanks.

Randy

No opinion on the wisdom of this from the point of the trees; but, if you do move them, make sure the new homeowner actually is indifferent. If I had bought a place expecting a nice little orchard to come with it, I'd be upset to discover that the trees were gone when I got there. I don't know what the real estate law is in NJ, but it may well state that plantings in the ground are part of the place unless specified otherwise.

Some people would be just as happy to find them gone. Just check first; or, if you're going to take them, make sure that the realtor makes it clear before the bids are placed that the orchard isn't included.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly