nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Electronic Pomonas

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Electronic Pomonas
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:08:28 -0800

On Feb 12, 2008, at 4:47 PM, Claude Sweet wrote:

The problems you are discussing have been discussed for years in the California Rare Fruit Growers with no progress because the majority of the membership consisted of older people who were not computer savvy and lacked a high speed Internet connection. Eventually their numbers have declined, but still no action to explore a second tier membership with a reduced rate electronic distribution.

I'm still catching up on email (car broke down in Redding, CA on Saturday so I was stuck there a while) so I'm coming in on the middle of this thread, but I wanted to say that CRFG has a couple tiers of membership right now, including lower rates for a membership that includes PDFs of The Fruit Gardener rather than a hard copy mailed to you.

I know what you're talking about, though, Claude. I've struggled with this issue on the chapter level.  I truly believe the email and internet-phobia of some of our membership keeps us from reaching many people, including younger people who were weaned on the internet.  I am cognizant of the socio-economic issues around internet-accessibility. However, in our particular chapter, I don't know of anyone who lives in an area that doesn't have a public library with public computers and high speed internet access.  Gosh knows I wish our local chapter, or even CRFG at large, had a list as active as this NAFEX list.  But for reasons I can't figure out, people are resistant.  On the other hand, there are individual chapters that are very with-it.  Santa Clara has a busy Yahoo Group list for its members, for instance.

Megan Lynch

Berkeley, CA

NAFEX: I'm in USDA Zone 9b

Treadle On: My current wishlist is a Bronze Embossed White, Kenmore De Luxe 551Matching Cabinet Chair, Singer 500 carrying case, Necchi treadle cabinet, National Art Deco treadle cab, Kenmore Art Deco treadle cab