nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Electronic Pomonas

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Electronic Pomonas
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:22:36 -0800

I don't think age necessarily has much connection with using computers - there are many grandparents keeping in touch with their grandchildren that way, and one garden club member here began using email when he was 87 and carried on into his 90s.

Lack of a high speed connection in rural areas is more of a problem, especially if photos are going to become an important part of ElectonicPomona.

I hope that the unselfish sharing of information will continue.

There is a back and forth of seeds and plants on the internet garden groups I belong to, with no one asking to be reimbursed for postage. The idea is to "pass it on" without keeping score. It is wonderful. This year alone I have sent to, and received seeds from, Russia, Spain, England, Australia, and New Zealand.

Unfortunately, this is not possible with any of our fruits that are grown commercially - we can't even ship fruit trees from one end of Canada to the other without having them fumigated. It can be done with rare fruit, though, and back in one of those old Pomonas I have, Lon was offering seeds of "Wonderberry".

Diane Whitehead