nafex - Re: [NAFEX] soil testing

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] soil testing
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 14:25:24 -0800

Getting through the bureaucracy, finding someone who will do home samples as opposed to business, driving out, there, parking, walking, taking time off to do so, the fact that they recommend private labs outside of the U, and there are fees for everything in CA universities, often more than private companies charge... UCD may be the best option, but the $20 lab sounds easier, and more likely to be open during winter break (at the moment, the greatest impediment to reaching the right people).  It looks, so far, like I’d pay more going through a university, plus the drive, parking, and walking a distance carrying a bag of dirt...

It’s not at all that I wouldn’t use them, though.  I had just wanted to hear any experiences of things like University tests vs. private.  CSU Sacramento is another option, although it’s not as aggie as it used to be.  And state services, as I’m  in the capital of an ag-industry-heavy state.  But, living here, I’m also familiar with the bureaucratic mazes and unexpected fees one can face.   There are also so many services for large farms, that a home gardener’s needs can get lost.

~ Stephen